Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wheat Free Wednesday

So, I decided to go ahead and try this out. Though I am sure it is not helpful to those that currently read my blog, perhaps it will draw other readers. If nothing else, perhaps it will motivate me to try new recipes.

I ordered a cook book last week. And, this week I received one from my dad and Paulette. The latter is entitled the gluten, wheat & dairy free cookbook.

It's got some pretty cool stuff in it! I'm looking forward to trying out some of the recipes!

As for this week...I found a recipe in the Dover Post for Baked Oatmeal. It sounded pretty good...but it called for both eggs and milk. So, I decided to test out some substitutes.

H
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients

1/2 cup vegetable oil or unsweetened applesauce
3/4 (or less) granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (YES … tablespoon)
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions

Combine oil (or applesauce) and sugar in a large bowl and stir well to mix thoroughly. Mix in eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and oatmeal. Stir again to mix well. Stir in raisins. Spread batter into a lightly greased 9-inch-deep dish pie plate. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

To bake: Preheat oven to 350-degrees, remove covering from pie plate and bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm cut into wedges.


I tweaked it to fit Treavor's Allergies...as well as my own paranoid food issues. I used applesauce not oil. Actually, I used Santa Cruz Organic Apple/Apricot Sauce. In lieu of the white refined sugar, I used 1/4 cup organic blue agave nectar. I used two packets of unflavored gelatin and four tablespoons of warm water in place of the eggs. I used 3/4 cup of Vanilla Flavored Rice Milk. And, because of the preservatives in most quick cooking oats, I used "O" Organic Quick Oat which I found at Safeway. I also used Organic Raisins.

Finally, I reduced the oven temperature to 325. I did this because I had substituted the agave nectar for the sugar. Note: I also reduced the liquid (rice milk)to compensate for the 1/4 cup of extra liquid I was adding!

The results were MUCH BETTER than I expected!!! It was very good!!! Both of my children enjoyed it! Give the recipe a try!!!

For the full article that was in the Dover Post, click here.

No comments: