Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum...Chewy Chewy Chewy Bubble Gum

Jecilyn has discovered gum. I didn't give it to her. She got this habit from her God Sisters Dani and Melissa. They are 13 and 12...and, it seems that gum is an obligatory component in the life of a tween. I remember those years well...and I was just like them. Snapping, popping and chomping on gum all of the time. And, Jecilyn is just like them. She wants gum all of the time. She throws major tantrums over being told that there is no gum or that she cannot have it. Overall, I guess there are worse things that she could want. However, gum just scares me. She fell asleep in the car with a huge wad in her mouth. The other day, she threw her gum at me narrowly missing my hair. And on a recent trip to the Philly Pretzel Factory, she threw her piece into the parking lot...And then I stepped in it. So, I've been telling her "No Gum!"

The other day she asked for what was probably the 10th time in five minutes, "Mommy, can I have some gum?" To which I replied, "How many times do I have to tell you, 'no gum!'" Without missing a beat, she looked at me and said, "How many times do I have to tell you....Don't yell at me!?" ...I guess I get what I get for challenging a three-year-old! She didn't get the gum...but we both got a good laugh.

I think the kid needs a 28 Day Program. Yesterday she was found hiding under a table under a beach towel with a big ol' piece of Chocolate Bubble Gum in her mouth. What can I do!?!?!

No comments: