Thursday, June 14, 2007

Happy Flag Day





Today is Flag Day. It is so named because on June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: "Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation." You can learn more about the history of the American Flag by visiting the USA Flag Website.

If you fly the flag today--or any day--be sure to follow proper American Flag Etiquette.

On another note, the other day I was with someone as they were watching my slideshows about Race Weekend and Making Cookies. At the end of both shows, I put a slide that says, "Please Support Our Troops." He asked me, "Can you support the troops without supporting the war?" My answer is an emphatic "YES!" Regardless of your views on the war, the men and women of our Armed Forces deserve respect and support. Many of them may not support the war or the President's views, but they still go out and do their jobs every day. They do not get to call in sick, or simply decide to find a new job because they don't like the boss. They are ripped away from their families and the comforts of home. They do their jobs. Period.

You are entitled to disagree with war and the President. You are free to express your opinion. Remember that you are entitled to do that because a soldier fought to give you that right. As I rant, I am reminded of the movie, A Few Good Men. Col. Jessep, played by Jack Nicholson, says the following while being questioned on the stand by Lt. Daniel Kaffee (Tom Cruise's character).

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.


Although Nicholson's character is the antagonist with questionable morals in the movie, his words ring true. Thank a soldier. Regardless of your political views.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing quote. Goosebumps. Thanks TLC. Did I tell you how much I love your blog?

Traci Lyn said...

Aw! Thanks! I'm trying!